Thursday, February 6, 2014

The BYOD Stalemate

"Technology is the future of education and the school systems." I feel like this is a truth that is constantly thrown into the faces of teachers on more than a daily basis. The push for technology integration is in such high demand that teachers are bending over backwards to make sure that there are multiple types of technologically advanced moments in each part of the lesson plan. Students are interacting with SmartBoards, using laptops to practice math skills starting in Kindergarten, and making their own YouTube videos at the Elementary level. Not a single one of my students in 5th grade is without at least a cell phone in their lives, and most of them have laptops and iPads to go along with it. Not to mention e-readers, iPods, and many other gadgets that they stay glued to throughout the day. And they aren't allowed to use these in the classroom due to, for a lack of better term, quality control.

"iphone" by jgarin on flickr
With all of the available apps and QR codes out there, wouldn't it be spectacular to actually be able to let all students use these resources? Yearly, more school districts are adopting a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy for students, allowing them to bring their phone or iPad in to do work on as long as they adhere to the rules set by the school district. No discriminating sites. No games. Many districts have even created a separate wireless network for students so they don't "hog" the network from the teachers. There's a lot of information found online about how to implement and incorporate BYOD in the school setting, such as this article from Scholastic.

One of the biggest red flags with BYOD comes from cheating - giving students the access to any information they could care for at all hours of the school day also gives them a larger chance to pull said information at any time during class. Including during a test or while writing a paper. And teachers can push the "it's wrong to do that" as much as they want, but when push comes to shove and that student is feeling stressed from an answer that they swear they know, will they take a guess or will they just do a quick phone peek? 

As an educator, I myself am torn on the idea of students bringing in their own equipment. I am learning to incorporate our set of 7 class laptops into daily instruction, and have recently created an Edmodo group for my kids to connect with me out of school (at their request, too)... but I am also very quick to take any electronic away from them the moment I see it. I scared one of my students one day by snatching up a blue device right out of her hands since it was out in the middle of instruction time. It ended up only being a calculator, but it looked so realistic to an iPhone that I panicked, not wanting the school leadership to catch one of my students with a piece of contraband in their hands. 

I worry constantly about what my students are sending to one another on their phones without them being allowed in class - my kiddos can be very sensitive, so the smallest bit of name calling is a top-notch bully issue to them. Imagine how that would increase if they had their phones consistently within their reach. Any time someone got an answer wrong, I could just see a "that was stupid" text getting sent to them and World War III being set off. 

However, I would love to have them have iPads in my classroom. I feel so much could be accomplished! It would really improve small group instruction, and allow them to react more hands-on with the material. 

Is it right to have them banned from school? Honestly, I believe that actually changes based on the classroom. Yes, there are many many many perks attached to being able to get students technologically tuned in, but what some consider the "ethical" stand point (I see it as just plain common sense) needs to be weighed in too. 

I'm at a stalemate with my decision, and the more I search BYOD, the stronger that stalemate becomes. 

What do you think would be the most beneficial/harmful aspect of having students bring their own devices?

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, thanks for sharing. Being that I deal with professional students, I did not even think of the issues that come with integrating technology into classrooms with younger children - issues of sensitivity or knowing that you're setting the foundation for their use of technology for the rest of their lives (no pressure!). I think for me personally, and being the mother of a six year old, I think I would like to see more teachers have students bring their own devices, not only to integrate that technology in the classroom, but to do what you all do best, be the role model for their proper use.

    ReplyDelete