Saturday, December 28, 2013

Well, I bit the bullet and started my own teaching blog (I blame procrastination on the piles of papers around me!)... I thought maybe it would be easier to keep track of all of those WONDERFUL blogs I follow for ideas and such!

Let's see, a blog intro!

About Me

My name is Courtney, and not only am I new to the blogsphere in the teacher aspect (I've had a health blog here for a while... if you feel like it, check it out!), I'm also a first month first year teacher in Orlando, Florida... where I've lived for just under a year!

I was born and raised in the little state of Delaware, and followed my 4 year old self's dreams of working at the Mouse House and moving to Florida. So January 2013, I started my role at Walt Disney World as a merchandise cast member at Downtown Disney.


Over the summer, my teaching certification FINALLY went through in Delaware (I graduated college in the end of January - and instead of going to Delaware to walk across the stage in my honors glory, I went to Animal Kingdom and worked until midnight at a merch cart!), so I decided to apply for it in Florida as well.

Needless to say, it was approved here in October. So I applied for grad school (because I'm crazy) at the University of Central Florida, where I will be starting my journey to my M.Ed in elementary education in just over a week, and started to apply for jobs in the area in hopes I could have something lined up for January when my college program at Disney was over.

I got a job the day after my interview at a nearby Charter school, and started the next day. Overnight, I went from working on making guests happy in their vacations to teaching 24 bright 5th graders.

My class

I have 19 girls and 5 boys in my classroom, which means that there is ALWAYS  a constant chatter going on, and I'm always searching for more One Direction prizes to put in our Friday ticket sales! I love them to pieces, and as crazy as that last week was before our winter break, miss them even more. I'm still trying to get the hang of 5th grade, especially with incorporating FCAT and getting ready for Common Core next year... and everything that Charter schools add on top, but my day is in a constant motion and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Ok... I guess I've stalled myself long enough away from that pile of grading I need to do. So back at it! I've got some projects I will be working on this week, and may be doing a classroom tour (I feel like coming back is the first week of school all over the way we will be handling the first few days!), so stay tuned! As for now, thanks for stopping by and checking out my new blog :)


No comments:

Post a Comment